Privacy Statement for Wyze Labs Products
Posted: April 30, 2019
Effective: May 8, 2019
View archived versions
This is the Privacy Statement for the Wyze Labs smart home products.
Click here for the Privacy Statement for the Wyze Labs company site at www.wyze.com.
A. Wyze Products
- Setting Up a Wyze Product
- Information Collected by the Wyze Products
- Information Collected by Your App
- Information Collected by Wyze Labs from the Wyze Products and App
- How Wyze Labs Uses the Information Collected from the Wyze Products and App
- User Choices for the Wyze Labs Technology
- Wyze Labs’ Service Providers
- Transfer of Information
B. When Wyze Labs May Disclose Personally-Identifiable Information Collected from the Wyze Products and App
C. Other Matters
- Data Security
- Links to Other Sites; Integrations to Third-Party Services
D. How to Contact Wyze Labs
Wyze Labs, Inc. (“Wyze Labs”) sells smart home products, including the Wyze Cam and Wyze Cam Pan wireless smart home cameras, and Wyze Sense smart sensor (together, the “Wyze Products”). The Wyze Products communicate to users through the Wyze app (the “App”) and our software platform. We refer to the Wyze Products, the App, and the software platform, collectively, as the “Wyze Labs Technology.”
Wyze Labs has prepared this Privacy Statement to describe our practices regarding the information we collect from:
- Individual users who have registered an account on the App (each, a “User” with an “App Account”) to access their Wyze Products, whether through the App or other means offered by Wyze Labs, and
- The Wyze Products that are linked to an App Account.
Changes to this Privacy Statement. Wyze Labs will update this Privacy Statement to reflect changes to our practices. We will post all Privacy Statement changes on this page and, if the changes are significant, we will provide a more prominent notice at the top of the Privacy Statement. The Privacy Statement posted on this page will say when that version went into effect.
If you use the App or Wyze Products after a change, then you will have accepted Wyze Labs’s new Privacy Statement for the Wyze Products. You are advised to review our Privacy Statement periodically for any changes.
A. Wyze Products
- SETTING UP A WYZE PRODUCT
To use a Wyze Product, you will need to:
- Download the Wyze app (“App”) from the app store for your device, and install it on your smart phone, tablet, or other compatible device,
- Register for an account on the App (“App Account”) by providing your email/user name and password (“App Login”),
- From the App, agree to be bound by the Wyze Products Terms of Service and this Privacy Statement, which includes your consent to the collection and use by Wyze Labs, the App, and the Wyze Products of your Personally-Identifiable Information (discussed in Section A.4 below),
- Associate your Wyze Product(s) to that App Account,
- Provide the WiFi network information to connect your Wyze Product(s) to the Internet, and
- On the App, set your Settings for each Wyze Product. Your “Settings” are the settings that you enter into the App to set up how your Wyze Product(s) will run (for example, whether a Wyze camera should record audio with video, or the alerts and actions that should occur if a Wyze Sensor detects motion).
Some things to know about how the App works with Wyze Products:
- A Wyze Product can be associated with only one App Account at a time. However, one App Account can be associated with multiple Wyze Products
- You can share access on any Wyze Product that is connected to your App Account, by providing invitations by email through the App. Those who accept your invitation will need to install the App and set up an App Account.
- If you have a user account on Wyze Lab’s site at wyze.com and then use the same username and password for your App Login, then your App Login will be associated with your user account Wyze Lab’s site at www.wyze.com.
- INFORMATION COLLECTED BY THE WYZE PRODUCTS
Your Wyze Product collects:
- The Setup Information and Settings that are received from your App, and
- The information that your Wyze Product generates as it operates (“Information Generated by the Device”).
The Information Generated by the Device varies by Wyze Product and by the Settings that you have set.
- The Wyze Cam and Wyze Pan cameras can be set to record 12-second alert videos with or without audio (“Event Videos”), to display a live stream on your app, and to enable two-way audio between your App and the camera. If you have installed the optional micro SD card in your camera, you have the option of saving live streams and videos to the memory card on your camera.
- A Wyze Sense sensor detects the occurrence of an activity, such as motion in a room or the open/close status of a window or door.
Your Wyze Product sends the Information Generated by the Device to your App, so that you can operate and monitor your Wyze Product. In the case of the Wyze cameras, the Wyze Product also sends Event Videos to Wyze Lab’s storage ("Wyze Cloud"). We currently use Amazon Web Services to operate and maintain the Wyze Cloud.
- INFORMATION COLLECTED BY YOUR APP
You can use your App to view information about your Wyze Products. For example:
- The Setup Information and Settings as you’ve entered them into the App,
- The Device Technical Information (defined in Section A.4) for each Wyze Product that you associate with your App Account, and
- The Information Generated by the Device(s) (defined in Section A.2). For example, if you have connected a Wyze camera to your App, you will be able to view Event Videos on your App.
- INFORMATION COLLECTED BY WYZE LABS FROM THE WYZE PRODUCTS AND APP
Wyze Labs collects the following information when you set up and use the Wyze Product(s) and the App (“Information Collected by Wyze Labs”):
- App Account and App Login,
- Setup Information and Settings, both sent by your App,
- Information Generated by the Device that is sent to the Wyze Cloud, such as Event Videos from a Wyze camera and status notifications from a Wyze Sense,
- Technical information about each of your Wyze Products, such as its device model, serial number, MAC address, firmware version, and IP address (“Device Technical Information”), and
- Records, data and statistics generated by your use of the Wyze Product and App collected by Wyze Labs (“Usage Data”), such as the instances that the Wyze Cloud authenticated your App or Wyze Product, and the times you contacted customer support.
Your App Account and App Login are Personally-Identifiable Information. “Personally-Identifiable Information” is information about an individual that can identify that individual. Because your name, email address, physical address, and phone number are Personally-Identifiable Information, we treat your App Account and App Login as your Personally-Identifiable Information. Your Setup Information, Settings, Wyze Product Technical Information, and Usage Data become Personally-Identifiable Information if they are associated with your App Account or App Login, but are not considered Personally-Identifiable Information by themselves.
Note for users who access the Wyze Products and App from the EEA, Switzerland or the UK.
How Long We Retain Personally-Identifiable Information. We retain your Personally-Identifiable Information for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement, unless a longer retention period is required for the security or integrity of the Wyze Products, or to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, or enforce our legal agreements or policies.
- HOW WYZE LABS USES THE INFORMATION COLLECTED FROM THE WYZE PRODUCTS AND APP
We use the information collected from the Wyze Products and App for the following purposes:
- To provide the features of your Wyze Products and App, and to perform the other services that you request,
- To authenticate and facilitate communications among your App, Wyze Product, and Wyze Cloud,
- To operate, maintain, enhance, and improve the Wyze Products and App, and to develop new products and services, and
- As we believe appropriate (a) to comply with applicable law and legal process, including to respond to valid requests by public authorities (for example, a court, government agency, or law enforcement), (b) to enforce our terms and conditions, (c) to prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Wyze Labs Technology, Wyze Products, the App, the Wyze Labs website(s), or the like, (d) to protect our operations or those of our affiliates, (e) to protect our rights, property, privacy, safety, or that of our affiliates, you or others, or (f) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain (these purposes, collectively, the “Compliance Purposes”).
- USER CHOICES FOR THE WYZE LABS TECHNOLOGY
Wyze Labs generally stores your Personal Information on our servers until you delete or edit it. We may also store your Personal Information to resolve disputes, establish legal defenses, conduct audits, pursue legitimate business purposes, enforce our agreements and comply with applicable laws.
You can delete the information on a Wyze Product by deleting the Wyze Product on your App. You can use your App to access or amend your Personally-Identifiable Information stored on the Wyze Cloud.
Wyze Products and the Wyze App are intended for use in the United States. If you have the right under applicable law to request access to, receive, review, make corrections to, or request deletion of your information in Wyze Labs’ possession, you may do so by contacting Wyze Labs. To protect your privacy, Wyze Labs will take commercially reasonable steps to verify your identity prior to taking action on your request.
- WYZE LABS’ SERVICE PROVIDERS
We work with third party vendors, service providers, and technicians that provide services and functionality for the Wyze Products, App, Wyze Cloud, and Wyze Labs Technology. These services and functionalities include data hosting, account authentication, video encryption and streaming, IT and IoT infrastructure and software, IT services, customer service, email delivery, payment processing, order fulfillment, auditing, security, fraud, and other services Pursuant to the terms of our agreements, we may permit these service providers to have access to Personally-Identifiable Information, Usage Data and Tracking Data so that they can perform services on our behalf.
- TRANSFER OF INFORMATION
As Wyze Labs works with global companies and technologies, we may need to transfer the Personally-Identifiable Information stored on the Wyze Cloud outside of the country from which it was originally provided. This transfer may be intra-group or to third parties that we work with who are likely located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ from those in your jurisdiction. If you are located outside the United States and choose to provide information to us, please note that we transfer the data, including Personally-Identifiable Information, to the United States and process it there.
Note for visitors who access the Company Site from the EEA, Switzerland or the UK.
B. When Wyze Labs May Disclose Personally-Identifiable Information Collected from Wyze Products or App
The Personally-Identifiably Information that you provide to the Wyze Products or App may be disclosed:
- Per Your Request. To those you’ve invited to view certain video, in accordance with your selections on the App.
- Service Providers. To our vendors, service providers, and technicians who provide services on our behalf. We may also ask these third parties to collect Personally-Identifiable Information on our behalf.
- Transfer of Business. To a third party to which we have transferred our business, assets or stock if Wyze Labs is involved in a reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of some or all of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceeding). You will be notified if your Personally-Identifiable Information is transferred and becomes subject to a different privacy statement.
- Compliance Purposes. As we believe appropriate for Compliance Purposes.
C. Other Matters
- DATA SECURITY
Wyze Labs employs commercially reasonable security measures to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of information collected by the Wyze Products, App, and Wyze Labs Technology. However, no data transmission over the Internet or data security system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
- LINKS TO THIRD-PARTY SITES; INTEGRATIONS TO THIRD-PARTY SERVICES
The Wyze Products, App, and Wyze Labs Technology may contain links to other sites that are not operated by us. If you click on a third party link, you will be directed to that third party's site. We strongly advise you to review the Privacy Statement of every site you visit. We are not responsible for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party sites or services.
We have integrated the Wyze Labs Technology with the products and services of other companies, to give our Customers additional use options. You have the option of using the products and services of these other companies with your Wyze Products. When you integrate your Wyze Product with these third-party products and services, you will consent to Wyze Labs sharing your information with these companies. When you use third-party products and services integrated with your Wyze Products, their terms and privacy policies will govern your use of those products and services. We are not responsible for these companies’ products and services.
D. How to Contact Wyze Labs
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, please contact us at:
Wyze Labs, Inc.
3933 Lake Washington Blvd NE
Kirkland, WA 98033